Tuesday, 24 May 2011

"Yooneek" Bantayan

Gateway to Yooneek Beach Resort
Bantayan Island


I told them it will be an adventure going to Bantayan. I told them we'll ride a local bus and it won't be comfortable: no aircon, overcrowded and sometimes dusty while all the windows have to be open because of the heat.  I told them they shouldn't be surprise if they will sit beside a pig or a chicken, but Kevin's parents were absolutely certain and they said they want to experience a local bus ride.

It was end of March in 2010 when my German "parents in-law" visited the Philippines for the first time. They were quite excited and very happy that Kevin and I accompanied them on their very first vacation in Asia. Kevin's parents, Karin and Kalle, wanted to visit Asia for a while but always worried the long flight, how to manage the subtropical climate  and the Asian culture so different from the European and American, something they've never experienced before. Karin and Kalle are passionate traveller, they went almost everywhere in Europe, America and North Africa. Even though both just turned 60/61 they still have itchy feet. They are always on the move and they love short trips for a long weekend. Karin is a bargain hunter for flight tickets for city trips like Lisbon, Dublin, Barcelona, London and Venice for less than 10 EUR via Ryan Air (the European counterpart of Air Asia). But as I said they never made it to Asia before. I truly think they secretly waited that Kevin and I suggest them to visit the Philippines with us during Easter Holiday. Sadly my Mom couldn't join us because of work.

Despite the fact that I was born and partly grew up in the northern part of Cebu, I've never visited Bantayan before. In my younger years when I spent my summer vacations in the Philippines with my parents (mostly with my mom because of family) every year, we never made it to Bantayan or Malapascua. Don't ask me why, it's totally weird.

We took a taxi after breakfast and went to the North Bus Terminal located in Subangdaku, Mandaue City. While sitting in the taxi I remember what my cousin Laan said the night before: Ate, siguro ka mag local bus mo to Hagnaya Pier? Mas comfortable kon mag taxi or mag mini van na lang mo. Maluoy ko nila kon mag local bus mo (Ate, are you sure you wanna take the local bus to Hagnaya Pier? It's more comfortable if you'll rent a taxi or a mini van. I'm feeling sorry for them if you'll take the local bus). I smiled and said: Don't worry about them. They really want to experience a local bus ride. They love adventure!

Karen and Kalle inside the "cozy" Ceres bus

At around 8 am we arrived at the North Bus Terminal, the main hub for buses, mini-buses and v-hires (van for hire) for the Northern part of Cebu provinces. While waiting for the next non A/C Ceres bus we bought some snacks and water. No other tourists where on sight and it seemed that we caught the right time because the terminal wasn't that busy as usual. Well, until our bus arrived few minutes later...

How to get to Bantayan Island
Non Aircon Ceres Bus
North Bus Terminal, Cebu City to Hagnaya Port, San Remigio 
Fares: ca. 70 - 80 Php
Travel time: ca. 3 hours

Et voilĂ , I didn't joke about the chicken:



My parents in-law enjoyed the trip until an incident happened on midway: the bus drove over a kettle, Karin and Kalle's seat broke down and the poor two had to sat lopsidedly for another one and a half hour until we arrived at Hagnaya Port in San Remigio at noon.


School kids running after our bus
(Lomo-Cam: Actionsampler)
 Hagnaya Port, San Remigio:

Hagnaya Port:
Waiting for the ferry
(Lomo-Cam: DianaMini)

Children at Hagnaya Port
(Lomo-Cam: DianaMini)


The Ferry Boat from 
Hagnaya Port to Santa Fe, Bantayan Island
Fares: 150.00 Php + 10.00 Php for Terminal Fee
Travel time: approximately 1 hour 

Bantayan Island:



Kalle is sceptic if that "thing" will drive after he'll hop in :p

We haven't booked a room, we just asked some Tricycle drivers to show us some budget beach resorts that provide clean rooms and a great beachfront after we arrived at Santa Fe . Somehow we got lucky because our Tricycle driver was nice and sincere. He told us right away about his cousin's beach resort called "Yooneek" but first he wanted to show us the accommodations I got from Lonely Planet like the famous Santa Fe Beach Club or St. Bernard Beach Resort. Both resorts have nice rooms and cottages, prices were okay but the negative aspect was that they are located next to the ugly port. And so we decided to give Yooneek a try and we happily didn't get disappointed...

Yooneek's beachfront panorama:

This is the view we exactly wanted!



Yooneek Beach Resort, Bantayan Island
 
Merinda: Kalle's first fresh Buko!

Yooneek Beach Resort has very friendly staff that also serves you one of the best food I got in a budget resort like this.

Room Rates
Peak (Nov 1 - May 30) / Non-Peak (June 1 - Oct)


Fan room 1,390.00 Php / 1,090.00 Php
Standard Room 1,890.00 Php / 1,690.00 Php
*aircon, balcony, seaview
Vista Grande Room 2,790.00 Php / 1,900.00 Php
*aircon, beachfront, oceanview, refrigerator, hot & cold shower
VIP Suite 2,790.00 Php / 2,900.00 Php
*aircon, oceanview, fridge, cable tv, internet

Yooneek Beach Resort
website: http://www.yooneekbeach.com/

Poblacion, Santa Fe,
Bantayan Island, Cebu
6047 PHILIPPINES

Telephone : +63-32 438 9124
Telefax       :  +63-32 438 9050
Mobile       :+63 917 999 3829

"Yooneek" Bantayan Sunset
(Lomo-Cam: Actionsampler)

10 comments:

  1. I think local bus ride is quite fun especially for foreigners who love to experience new things and adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was fun experience for them and both fell in love with the philippines. they want to come back as soon as possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bantayan is very nice and can be enjoyed at lower budget :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely agree phing! i'm looking forward to visit malapascua and camotes islands this coming july. thank for stopping by! cheers from berlin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Bantayan in 2007 and stayed at St. Bernard and Sta. Fe Beach Club. I agree that while these resorts are nice, they are very near to the port. Yooneek has an awesome beachfront. I wish I could go back to Bantayan and stay in this place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sand is so white! Wow you really made them take the local transportation. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Bantayan photos!
    The sand is so white. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Earl: Wanted to go back to Bantayan for a two days last month but I canceled my trip because of heavy rain. =(

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Grace: I love Bantayan. It's just an hour from my home in North Cebu. hahaha yeah, they love adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...