Saturday, 12 March 2011

A Taste of Travel: Pho24


A Vietnamese friend of mine back in high school introduced me Pho when I visited her at home for the first time. She said "Pho is for us (Vietnamese), love and life! It's home far away from Vietnam".  Since then I was in love with Pho because this soup is a perfect harmony of ingredients and because the combination of star anise, clove and cinnamon is pure heaven!


After I had my favourite Vietnamese dish Bun Bo Nam Bo for lunch it was time to have some Pho for dinner on my first day in Hanoi. We walked down the P Hang Khay (Old Quarter) when I saw the neon sign of Pho24. It's a famous Pho franchise that offers Pho in different varieties in a nice ambiance of a modern and clean cafe. 

I remember that I read about Pho24 in a Vietnamese food blog called: "sticky rice" (link: http://stickyrice.typepad.com) by Mike Lowerson. I was reading his post about where to eat Pho in Hanoi and he mentioned "Pho24", a Pho franchise from Saigon which serves Pho 24 hours and where it tastes like in street food stalls. So we went in and order my first Pho in Vietnam.


First plate: herbs, veggies, spices and lime


Our bowl of Pho with beef meatballs


It was delicious but nothing beats the street food stalls! ;-)

Pho24
1 P Hang Khay
Old Quarter, Hanoi
Prices: 38,000 - 45,000 VND

Pho at the street food stalls in Hanoi:
Vendors always trying to rip you off but we learned from our hotel owner not to pay more than 30,000 VND for Pho or other dishes at the street food stalls!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...