Sunday, 27 February 2011

My Chinese New Year’s Eve in Bangkok



Bangkok, February 2, 2011


My first visit in Bangkok lasted 24 hours and for a tourist an unusual visit.  Unsual because I haven’t visit any of those famous cultural attractions like the Grand Palace or Wat Phra Si Rattana Satsadaram. I haven’t planned anything what to do or what to see because my visit had another purpose. I stopped in Bangkok just to meet my boyfriend’s best friend back in College in Brisbane. Meao (her Nickname) studied with Kevin at QUT few years ago. I only know her by hearsay and facebook and after six years I finally got the chance to meet her in person on my way to Vietnam. An opportunity I couldn’t miss out and so I decided stay in Bangkok for a day before flying to Vietnam to meet Kevin in Hanoi.


Meao who invited me to stay at her home to spend my day in Bangkok with her family, told me in the first place, that as a Thai with Chinese decent she and her family are celebrating Chinese New Year in Bangkok. And If I’m not too tired from my flight I could join them to do some preparations and see some family rituals. Meao who is working for a company which is also part Chinese, couldn’t picked me up from the Airport because of this big charity event her company organised every year on the morning of Chinese New Year’s Eve for the poor and needy of Bangkok.


Arriving at BKK I took the cab and went directly to her house which wasn’t far from the airport. Her mom already waited for me and after a short nap and a shower Meao’s mom told me how her family is celebrating Chinese New Year before going to her sisters house to do some preparations. I was really excited to join my first Chinese New Year’s Eve and see their family rituals on this special day.

Meao’s mum and her mum’s sister told me about their family’s origin and history. It was quite interesting to hear their story since I am also part of Chinese decent both maternal and parternal side. But my Catholic family is not celebrating Chinese New Year or do have Chinese traditions. I told them 
in short about the Philippine’s ethnic history and why most of the Filipinos with Chinese decent are Catholic now. 


Feast at the house of Meao’s Aunt








Chinese New Year’s Eve in Meao’s family is all about to honour their ancestors (Meao’s late father, grandparents, great-grandparents and deceased family members) and gathering with the family to have a lunch (traditionally it’s supper) together. Chinese New Year or Spring Festival is Birthday, Christmas and New Year in one event. It’s the longest and most important festivity in the Chinese Lunisolar Calendar. Meao’s family mainly cook and serve special food on this day which I've been told that they are the favourite food of their ancestors. I was very lucky  and grateful to join them on this very special occasion and learn so much about Chinese New Year and their (individual) family traditions.


Chu Ru Ping An
- May you be blessed with peace and safety wherever you are!

Lucky sign on Chinese New Year’s Eve: new born baby birds in the garden of Meao’s Aunt.   

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...